Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gluten free cheesecake yuminess


I adapted this to be gluten free. I found it in the Sunday paper prior to the holidays and decided I HAD to make it. While grocery shopping for Christmas dinner this was the main priority. So much so, that I forgot half of what I needed, but by gosh we were gonna have some cheesecake! Good thing the husband is not afraid of running to the store to fetch the forgotten items. We managed to have a balanced dinner afterall, despite my temporary cheesecake obsession. In my defense, I have not had cheesecake in over a year. It has been just a little over a year living the gluten free lifestyle. So hopefully you can understand my over excitement here! Hope it brings as much eating pleasure to others.

The original recipe called for Oreo cookies for the crust. I used Kinnikinnick - KinniToos Choc. Cream Sandwich Cookies. One little substitution and there's my adaptation :o) Check 'em out here or if you are one of the lucky ones who can partake in the gluten of the world just use Oreos...much easier to come by.

Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Cheesecake

Ingredients
20 Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, crushed (about 2 cups)
3 Tbsp Butter, melted
4 pkg (8 oz ea) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Sour cream
4 eggs
6 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted, cooled

Preheat oven to 325. Line 13x9 inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Mix cookie crumbs and butter; press firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 10 min.

Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add sour cream, mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until blended. Remove 1 cup of the batter; set aside. Stir melted chocolate into remaining batter in large bowl; pour over crust. Top with spoonfuls of remaining 1 cup plain batter; cut through batters with knife several times for swirled effect.

Bake 40 min or until center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Use foil handles to left cheesecake from pan before cutting to serve. Store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

K Allrich said...

That is one gorgeous cheesecake! Makes me wish I could still do eggs and dairy. ;)

Happy, healthy, safe New Year!

Ami said...

Bummer that eggs and dairy are out for you. I have only had to eliminate gluten and corn...that seems torture enough.

Happy New Year to you too!