Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Things are not always as they appear


Last week while I was on vacation I got an offer from HR for the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. I accepted. My new manager called me an hour later. He apologized for disturbing me while I was on vacation, but said he wanted to congratulate me and welcome me to his team. He seems like such a breath of fresh air from the current secret cat fight society I belong to now a.k.a The Maverick Project.

The Maverick Project sounds like such a cool thing to be a part of doesn't it? It brings up images of Tom Cruise (before we knew he was a whack job), Goose, competition, excitement, soaring jets, excellence...all positive images. Well this project is anything but that. There isn't one person that I know of working on the project that wants to be there. The purpose of the project is a good one. It's a good concept that if implemented correctly would be great. Here lies the issue. Implementation will almost certainly fail due to management's incompetence; their incompetence to recognize talent and respect that talent, their incompetence to recognize their own limitations and seek the advice of others. Their lack of integrity will also play a big part in the failure of this project. They have never honestly reported to senior management the status or quality of product being developed.

In the beginning I was very excited to be a part of this project. I would learn new technologies. I would be involved in the technology of the future, yada yada yada. I bought into the story they were selling. Soon after being 'hand picked' to be a team member I learned that it wasn't what it appeared. I began exploring other employment opportunities within the company. It has taken a loooong time, but the opportunity is finally here and this secret cat fight society is attempting to ruin that opportunity for me. I thought they would gladly release me to this new opportunity, but I was wrong. All the sudden I'm a critical player on the team. They are attempting to make me stay on the project for another 8 weeks. They have virtually ignored my existence up to this point. I was really unsure if management even knew my name. They have ignored any complaint I've ever brought to them. I tried to make this an environment that I would want to be in. They have no intention of changing anything. Everyone is expected to like being sardined into a room with limited workspace, sharing a phone with 9 other people, not understanding the language spoken in the room, having no office supplies...I could go on. Honestly, these are deplorable working conditions for a professional. Now I'm critical?? And they won't let me go and pursue a better opportunity?? Completely unprofessional.

So now the leader of the secret cat fight society is battling with my new manager and trying to beat him down like she does everyone else. Not once has she had a conversation with ME about this. This is my career, yet she feels no obligation to speak to me about it and try to work out an agreement with me. She's just going to bully my new manager and then tell me how it's going to be! I'm furious to say the least. I'm sitting on the sideline and waiting for the outcome. I know my new manager is fighting hard for me...hoping for the best. He is able to recognize talent and has respect for people as people. He doesn't just look at them as 'resources'.

No comments: